Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Nerds, Nerds .....and um More Nerds!

Default Using Websters is easier...

Here's Dictionary.com's definiton:

–noun Slang .
    a stupid, irritating, ineffectual, or unattractive person.
    an intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby or pursuit: a computer nerd.

I would add to that the (presumed) trait of being socially awkward. Seems more apt than the idea of being unattractive, 'cuz I think guys who wear glasses can be very cute and endearing-looking. The non-social description used in the 2nd definition is, I believe, more likely to spring to mind than the word "ineffectual," but hey, that's from Dictionary.com.

Here's Webster's definition:

: an unstylish, unattractive, or socially inept person;
    especially : one slavishly devoted to intellectual or academic pursuits <computer nerds>
    Smiles cost nothing, but are priceless in their impact. Get yours today!

2. Default

if people have a problem with the title of the thread , please do suggest someother name so i can change it because , im tired of re-iterating the definition of being a "nerd" and apparenlty some members dont get it . This might be due to the fact that certain age groups have different perceptions of the word and this largely differs from how my age demographic (20's) precieves the term. Once again , a nerd may not be a person who is adept at technology , or be an intellectual with a high IQ . There are several subclasses of "nerds" , the hip hop nerd , the computer nerd , the fashion nerd (this species has an affinity towards dressing in nerd chic lol ) , the movie nerd , the music geek etc .
    Last edited by Serph789; 04-13-2011 at 12:42 PM.

3. Default

Yeah, nerds totally reclaimed the usage of the word just like gays did with the word queer. The last ten years or so have proved that geek is now chic, so the terms associated with unpopular, unattractive basement dwellers have changed.

Or rather, the constrictions of the word have changed. Not all nerds are attractive, but not all unattractive people are nerds. Just like you can be a bear, a twink or a daddy and still be considered "queer." It's a more of a diverse, self-aware subculture with its own little subcultures inside of it than anything else.

I for one have no problem with the hot-as-hell nerds in this thread.

Wink

@Footlover I love & appreciate your post & pix lol TY buddy

vegasguy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Footlover28 View Post
    he deserves it imo
    This guy is really handsome!!

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by tenchichan View Post
    Yeah, nerds totally reclaimed the usage of the word just like gays did with the word queer. The last ten years or so have proved that geek is now chic, so the terms associated with unpopular, unattractive basement dwellers have changed.

Or rather, the constrictions of the word have changed. Not all nerds are attractive, but not all unattractive people are nerds. Just like you can be a bear, a twink or a daddy and still be considered "queer." It's a more of a diverse, self-aware subculture with its own little subcultures inside of it than anything else.

I for one have no problem with the hot-as-hell nerds in this thread.
    Yeah, it's very much reclaimed. I personally define it as someone who is slightly to pretty socially awkward (usually in an endearing way) and they have interests that look deeper into and may know a lot about things that may or may not be cool.

ps the new term that replaced nerd is neckbeard.

7. Default

I don't feel that the term nerd these days is a bad thing anymore. As has been stated here earlier on this thread many guys proudly use the term to "describe" themselves in a good or even fun way. And yes, gay men have reclaimed the term "Queer" for quite some time now.

Another word that some guys use to describe themselves is Dork. I think since the popularity of many movies of the 80s where many times the "hero" of the movie was the "nerd" or "dork" was when the meaning of those terms took a turn very much in a positive light. In many of those movies they were the guys who " got the girl ".

When you take away the shock or insult value of a word you effectively defuse the bomb that other are trying to hurl at you. The added bonus of course is that it thoroughly pisses off the people who were trying to insult you.

It loses it's power in the negative way.

If these guys are "nerds" they are some cute "nerds"
    Last edited by ropedfeet; 05-03-2011 at 01:52 AM.

9. Default

Nothing like tickling a barefoot nerd, mmmmm

thanks for posting these pics serph. these are totally my type of guys