PDA

View Full Version : My new hero: an Orthodox priest!

ftlaudft
05-25-2009, 11:50 AM
His name is Heikki Huttunen and he is an Orthodox archpriest in Finland. He is my new hero. I'll tell you why.

As we approach the month in which we celebrate Stonewall, I think of the many gay rights battles that have been fought. And some battles are still being fought by courageous people who risk everything to stand for what they believe. Father Heikki Huttunen is one of those people.

Father Huttunen is discussed in news releases from the Byzantine Forum, news items that would not have seemed possible a few years ago. The clerics of the Finnish Orthodox Church are going to participate in the European Forum of LGBT Christian Groups conference "'Courage to Follow the Law of Love"' which opened Tuesday in Järvenpää and Helsinki, Finland. On May 22, Helsinki University will host the open church seminar which will address the issue of homosexual relations. General Secretary of the Ecumenical Council Archpriest Heikki Huttunen will present his paper "'Homosexuality in the Orthodox theology."'

The Byzantine Forum notes that in the January issue of "'Aamun Koitto"' (Daybreak), this well-known priest of the Finnish Orthodox Church addressed at length his viewpoint on homosexual "'marriage"' as "'the reflection of the Divine power and benign sexual source."' This clergyman also intends to hold a discussion on the spiritual integration of homosexuals into the Church.

The Byzantine Forum which published the above items is very unhappy with Father Huttunen. The members of the forum posted their dismay, disdain and revulsion with such comments as ""Tell me this is a joke!"' and ""The Evil One is luring the weak into error."'

The Russian Church with headquarters in Moscow is choking on its blinchiki and knocking over samovars in its righteous rage. The Russian Orthodox recently broke off all relations and dialogues with the Lutheran State Church of Sweden when the Swedes decided to start blessing same-sex unions. And now this from Finland! The Russians even went so far as to "'out"' in print the names of the priests and monks who were actively supporting Yhteys-liike (Unity), an organzation fighting for gay rights in Finland.

The major worry of the Orthodox in Finland and Russia who are against gay rights is that supporting gay rights will break up the unity of the Church, that is, a unity of homophobia and social injustice. In my opinion, such a unity, based on laws and attitudes that cause suffering and injustice to minorities, is worth nothing. I would like to be a tiny angel in a corner of heaven on Judgment Day when the Patriarchs are asked to explain why they tolerated the torture and murder of gay people through the centuries. For the sake of unity?

Of course, the Patriarchs could turn the tables on me and ask, well, if I supported the idea of gay rights so much, why didn't I give more to the Human Rights Campaign? Did I really give all I could? Did I do all I could? What would you answer?

I don't really care that much about marriage as a legal paper for the partner who is going to share my bed with me. If I had had a legal paper each time I did a noodle-doodle, why, I'd have enough to wallpaper a 40-room mansion. But I do care about the idea of respect for each gay person walking down the street and for each gay couple doing whatever they do in the privacy of their bedroom.

This is what Father Huttunen cares about. And that's why he's my new hero!