PDA

View Full Version : Footcare regimes

gianni9uk
09-10-2011, 07:56 PM
Hi all, just wanted to ask what you all do to keep your feet looking great? Also, do any of you know anything about ped-eggs? I read somewhere that they aren't the best thing to use and was wondering whether that's actually true?

Footman2
09-10-2011, 09:44 PM
All I use is a good espensive lotion thats all natural, not a bunch of chemicals and addatives in it. Fortunately, I've been blessed with good foot genes. Never had callouses to speak of and NEVER had corns or bunions so I've never really had to do anything to my feet just a little dry skin sometimes and the lotion handles that. My feet always look pretty good and always smooth. I'm sorry, but I've never heard of ped-eggs.

OBG
09-11-2011, 11:54 AM
I've been pedicuring myself since junior high, right after I read an article in GQ Magazine showing the steps men needed to take to maintain their feet. I'm a pretty avid barefooter, but at the same time I like having smooth, flirty soles, so I choose keep my feet smooth, yet maintain a thicker foot bottom than others on here might.

I'm also pretty sweaty, so I usually only have to worry about moisturizing my feet in the winter.

Pedi Eggs are too rough, frankly. This is the most important tool in my arsenal:

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp?filterBy=&skuId=480623&productId=480623&navAction=push&navCount=1&no_new_crumb=true

Out of all of the Foot Files I have tried, the one above is the best. It's hardcore, and the sandpaper like texture seems made for a man foot. The handle is sturdy and won't easily break too (despite it's pink appearance.) One side is a course grit, and one side a smooth grit. Just like sanding wood in shop class, sand with the grain (or in this case the direction your foot prints or grooves go.) Use the rough side first to knock out heels and any extra calloused parts of the man sole, then use the smooth side to smooth out the skin. If you have never done this before, GO SLOW. It's easy to over do it and sand your soles raw, so do it gently and know that you may have to do it a few times from day to day until you achieve your desired results. Since I'm shoeless a lot, I find I buff my heels once a week to keep them smooth.

You'll probably find your feet get ashy and more calloused in the summer, if you are in sandals and barefoot a lot, so this might be when you want moisturize. DON'T MOISTURIZE RIGHT BEFORE YOU PUT ON SOCKS AND SHOES. That's a sure fire way to get fungus. It's best to put on lotion right before sleeping in your bare feet. Make it a nighttime regime.

In winter, my feet tend to get softer and moist since I'm frequently in shoes and socks, so I typically don't moisturize then. However, some people suffer from dryness during this time due to the cold. The same night time lotion regime is recommended here.

If your nails are scratched up and maybe a little gray, this tool will help:

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp?filterBy=&skuId=258503&productId=258503&navAction=jump&navCount=3

It's a Nail Buffing Block, and you can use it to achieve cleaner, shinier, more even looking toe nails.

And, finally, no one likes sharing a bed with someone who has long, scratchy toe nails, so keep your nails short and file them after clipping with a basic nail file.

That's my regime. Hope it's been somewhat useful to you. Good luck on your quest for smoother feet!

akeel
09-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Believe it or not, Miracle Foot Repair is a great product, especially if you go barefoot alot outdoors. It heals, renews, helps with tone and overall foot health:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2YijBp2vRQ

I've found it at Wal-Mart (here in Canada) - it lasts a long time. Highly concentrated so you just need a few dabs of it every application.

Since it is more of an analgesic, you may need a lotion overtop of it after prolonged use. I am a big believer in aloe, and prefer a gel rather than a lotion. Fruit of the Earth Pure Aloe Vera Gel (not the medicated kind) is my favorite. It smooths on and keeps things dry and moisturized.

I agree with OBG - do not immediately put socks on after putting moisturizer on your feet because it will breed a fungas-loving environment. Nighttime is the best time - if you put socks on afterwards, wait until the moisturizer seaps in and dries.

For a good massage oil, Avocado oil is the best. The skin absorbs it more easily than olive or coconut. It also encourages collagen production and cell renewal.

Hate the ped-egg. Love my Dr. Scholl Foot file in keeping soles smooth and toned. I love the marble-like feel after a good weekly filing down - course side first, then polish with the fine side. Lasts about a week for me.

A weekly foot soak is great - drop some Mint Tea Bags in the water and let your feet soak in the healing properties and the tannins.

A footbuddy taught me a trick a while back in getting your toe nails their whitest. Brush your nails with a whitening toothpaste (preferably baking soda formula).

Another trick is soaking your nails in denture cleaner.

Other than just grooming and pampering, foot exercises keep feet in good shape. It is a too-much ignored part of any workout regimen.

Rolling a golfball under your feet for as long as you want loosens up muscles and massages into the deep tissues. Pressing down on a tennis ball with your foot is a good workout (strengthens the foot and the ankle, as well as the calf regions).

Strengthening your ankles is also great for overall foot health/appearence. Tons of videos on YT to show you some examples. I like standing on one foot and try to balance with my eyes closed - try and resist falling as much as possible - the more you almost fall over, the more you are working out your ankles; the constant tipsy-turvy action will help strengthen your ankles.

gianni9uk
09-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Thanks for your responses, there are some great ideas here! I will definitely try the files you recommended, the ped-egg just seems so harsh. I live in a pretty cold country and so rarely go barefoot in public, plus I tend to wear pretty formal shoes all the time (out of choice), so I do need to improve my daily routine, and you guys have given me some much needed inspiration to shake up my usual habits.

Interestingly enough I have actually done the rolling a tennis ball under the foot thing, it creates an incredible effect. If you do it just on one foot for about 5 minutes and then walk around the room, you almost feel like you have one leg longer than the other! So I can confirm that it really works and really perks up your posture.

tiedfeetguy
09-11-2011, 09:42 PM
What a great idea for a thread. You know, I was just seeing in Instinct magazine that they recommended the Spongeables Pedi-Scrub Foot Buffer. Anyone know anything about that?

akeel
09-11-2011, 10:41 PM
Here's a great rundown of excellent ankle/foot exercises ... it's promoted for basketball players, but they are basic and effective for everyone (great socked feet on the trainer too).

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=p8g7UeSw95A

Footman2
09-12-2011, 02:30 AM
I happen to be a classical organist (pipe organ) by profession and playing the foot pedals with both feet almost every day keeps my feet, ankles and calves in really good shape. Especially when I have to play fast passages. Its great exercise for the legs and feet (as well as the hands) I've developed very strong calf muscles from playing for so many years.

akeel
09-12-2011, 02:14 PM
If you look at most drummers, you'll see they have well-formed legs, calves, and strong feet. Having a drum's kick pedal would be a great exercise for your feet/ankles/achilles tendons ... I just use a tennis ball and press down on it like it was a drum pedal.

I remember seeing Ringo Starr's barefeet in an old 80s mini-series (great sole shot up to the camera), and seeing a pool pic of him once - his legs were sexy; calves/ankle region were well-defined and developed. And look at our friend Ben ...

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=umEIP9EhbgU&feature=channel_video_title

OBG
09-13-2011, 02:45 PM
Just the act of going barefoot whenever possible has strengthened my feet and legs. In the last decade alone I've gone from a size 8 to a size 9 shoe. My feet have not gotten longer or wider but I've had to move up a size due to the fact my arches have gotten stronger and taller, so I need more room in the shoe to accommodate the top (or dorsal) part of my foot.